ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Brett Gorres <bgor...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Oracle + iBATIS: more details
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:13:11 GMT
Hi Brian:
Lest you place too much faith in Rahul's casual reply
from earlier...

You may be running out of available Oracle db
connections or something like that.  Your app design
may be tying up too many connections.  (Possibly even
inside a loop in your code or something.  That is
optional.)  Could be many things.

Please don't take it the wrong way, but this is mostly

I know I will appear as a stick-in-the-mud, but I'd
rather suspect your Struts app's code / config before
blaming products external to your
project/organization.  It's good to have a "guilty
until proven innocent" approach to all new software.
Your app is the newest kid on the block here.  It will
have bugs.  Better to look into this before switching
app servers without just cause!

(I didn't see anything in your posts strongly
suggesting anyone else's server/code as the culprit
but I'll grant Rahul--anything's possible and I'm sure
he knows something I don't.)

My first assumption Brian is that you're dealing with
a design flaw or bug in the Struts app or maybe using
many calls to a query from within one service
method--could be something like that in there.  It
depends on the styleof whoever wrote the app.  One
false move in a highly trafficked line of code can
eventually slow down and crash (maybe sooner, maybe
later) under ANY app server or ANY RDBMS.  Just give
it time. : )

Is it running out of memory or connections?  Neither?
You may need assistance on site to help determine
that.

This is all hypotyhetical.  You may know all this.

If you think the app may be poorly written, try to
secure some time to simply clean it up!  Do unit
tests.

If nothing else works: [make a good backup, and...]
One good day of brave refactoring may be the only real
prescription for finding and resolving your issue.
You may know this.  It probably never hurts to be
reminded of it though.

Deployment specifics of the app may be to blame.  It
could simply be [mis]configured for the Oracle server
and not the SQL Server.

Here is something to definitely check:  I'd see if the
number of db connections and the amount of RAM are
equally available to the app in both database/hardware
environments.  Even if you do have, say, roughly the
same configs for your different servers, you'll still
be comparing apples with oranges...

And here is another key issue:  Ensure that db
transactions are managed safely (if they must be
managed by you at all) and that the app's memory usage
is none too wasteful.

I would just encourage people to keep these types of
things in mind and "look in the mirror", before
"pointing fingers" at other developers.

Switching to different product(s) may only disguise
your real issues until the true oversight [inevitably]
comes to the surface--at a more inopportune time!

Hope something in here helps somneone!
Regards,
-Brett