ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Michael Klaene <mkla...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: UI for iBatis
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:09:36 GMT

I tend to shy away from UI config file
generators becuase I find myself spending more time going through their
menus checking and unchecking things and reading help as to what each
checkbox does than if I would just copy and paste my changes.

True.  I guess it depends on the developer and how inuitive the gui is.  The one argument
made for the gui is that you don't need to worry about violating the DTD with cut and paste
errors, which I am prone to make.  To each his own on this one.

Are you wanting a UI
for the config files or something that will auto-generate a Java class
to interact with the config files?
I can see this as being useful for getting started.  I know there's a Perl script that's been
mentioned by Clinton that will do some this.  I would think it will still require quite a
bit of manual editing after generation though (maybe not so much work for domain objects but
for DAOs).

I personally think the most useful feature would be to test the SQL inside your SQL maps to
see if it returned the desired object.

Mike

Ron Grabowski <rongrabowski@yahoo.com> wrote:
I'm curious as to what features you had in mind. Are you wanting a UI
for the config files or something that will auto-generate a Java class
to interact with the config files? I think the config files are fairly
straight forward to configure as is. I just take an existing file and
modify it for a new project. I tend to shy away from UI config file
generators becuase I find myself spending more time going through their
menus checking and unchecking things and reading help as to what each
checkbox does than if I would just copy and paste my changes.

- Ron