ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Richard Yee <r...@cruzio.com>
Subject Storing the DaoManager
Date Sat, 19 Feb 2005 17:50:53 GMT
I'm using the DaoManager to manage my sqlMapDao classes. I invoke the
DaoManagerBuilder.buildDaoManager(Reader) method in a ContextListener or a
init method of a Servlet that is configured to load-on-startup and then
store the DaoManager in the application context. For each request I then
get the DaoManager from the application context and get my DAO from it in
order to execute a database query. Is this all correct? I want to make sure
that my application is able to handle a lot of traffic and that I don't tie
up database connections unnecessarily. Can anyone tell me when the database
connections are opened and closed. When using the SqlMapDaoTemplate, I
suppose it is done from within the getSqlMapExecutor().queryForXXXX
methods. What happens with the JdbcDaoTemplate? Since there is only one
method, getConnection(), when is this connection closed? When the
connection is closed, will it close any statements or result sets that are
open or do I still need to handle those in a finally clause?

Sorry if these questions are basic. I'm used to handling the closing of the
result sets, statements and connections myself and feel a little uneasy
leaving the cleanup to a framework.

In most cases I plan to use SqlMaps. However, I sometimes have to use JDBC
in order to handle stored procedures and functions.

Thanks,

Richard