ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Paul Barry <paul.ba...@nyu.edu>
Subject Re: iBATIS vs Hibernate
Date Sun, 27 Feb 2005 02:20:19 GMT
I don't know of a site with a detailed comparision, and if you find one,
let me know.  But I can tell you this difference boils down to this;
iBATIS maps Java Objects to the results of SQL Queries, whereas
Hibernate maps Java Objects directly to database tables, traditional
Object-Relational Mapping.  The benefits of Hibernate are that it
automatically generates all the SQL for your and the cache invalidation
can be more fine grained.  iBATIS is more flexible especially if you are
a strong SQL query writer.  You have control over exactly how the SQL
queries are written.

When determining which framework to use, I think one thing to remember
is that there is an optimal relational model to support every object
model.  There is not an optimal object model to represent every
relational model.  Use hibernate if you have mostly standard
queries(CRUD, Find by Criteria, etc.) and if you are designing your
object model first, then a relational model to support the object model.
  If you are working with a legacy system or a schema designed by a DBA,
iBATIS often makes a better choice.  If you try to shoehorn hibernate
into a relational model created by a DBA who could care less about
objects and thinks in terms of tables, columns, relationships and record
sets, then you will get along better with your DBA if you use iBATIS,
especially if the model is complex and may entail queries with outer
joins and nested subqueries.  You can tell them "All of the SQL
statements used by my application are stored in these XML files outside
of my Java code, so you can easily review them".  DBAs like that.  Of
course, you might be lucky enough to work with a DBA that is familar
with OO design and ORM tools like hibernate, in which case hibernate
might make a better choice.

Bottom line, in my experience, compared to Hibernate, iBATIS is more
flexible, has a shorter learning curve, but can take more time to
develop and maintain, since you have to write all your queries and if
your object model changes you have to go through all your queries and
make sure to make all the necessary changes to reflect the changes in
your object model.  I must admint though that I am biased because I have
more experience with iBATIS.  As I gain more experience with Hibernate,
I could be singing a different tune.