ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From William Harding <bhard...@dcddesigns.com>
Subject Help needed with Postgres Varchar [] -> String []
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:52:17 GMT
Greetings all,

I have spent the last 2 days researching how to handle the Postgres data
type: VARCHAR[] and how to map it to a String[] with little to no luck.
I am fairly new to iBATIS and I could have easily missed something very
simple.

Here is what I have.

My Current mapping is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE sqlMap PUBLIC "-//iBATIS.com//DTD SQL Map 2.0//EN"
"http://www.ibatis.com/dtd/sql-map-2.dtd">

<sqlMap namespace="CandidateInfo">
<typeAlias alias="candidateinfo" type="candidateinput.CandidateInfo"/>

<insert id="insertCandidateInfo" parameterClass="candidateinfo">
    INSERT INTO candidate_info (
        c_candidate_id,
        c_f_name, c_m_initial, c_l_name, c_address_line_one,
c_address_line_two, c_city, c_state, c_zipcode,
        c_country, c_email, c_areacode, c_primary_phone,
c_cell_areacode, c_cellphone,  c_biz_areacode,
        c_biz_phone, c_biz_phone_ext, c_lang_spoken,
c_will_work_part_contract,  c_resume_fliename, c_db_entry_date )
    values (
        (select MAX(c_candidate_id) from candidate_info) + 1,
        #FName#, #MI#, #LName#, #addyOne#, #addyTwo#, #city#, #state#,
#zipcode#,
        #country#, #emailAddy#, #homeArea#, #homePhone#, #cellArea#,
#cellPhone#, #workArea#,
        #workPhone#, #workExt#, #languagesSpoken#, #willWorkPartCont#,
#resumeFilename#, current_date )
</insert>

</sqlMap>

The languagesSpoken parameter is a String[10] in the CandidateInfo
object and is a VARCHAR[10] in the Postgresql database. I have tried
various ways of setting the data type and nothing has worked.

Each time I execute this mapping I get the following error:

There was a sql Exception:
com.ibatis.common.jdbc.exception.NestedSQLException: --- The error
occurred in CandidateInfo.xml. --- The error occurred while applying a
parameter map. --- Check the insertCandidateInfo-InlineParameterMap. ---
Check the parameter mapping for the 'languagesSpoken' property. ---
Cause: java.lang.NullPointerException Caused by:
java.lang.NullPointerException

I have done several tests ranging from not setting any of the array
items to filling them all in order to make sure that they are not null.
My only question is how to I go about handling this issue?

Is this a mapping issue or quite possibly a data issue? How do I even go
about debugging this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.