ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Huy <huym...@swiftdsl.com.au>
Subject Re: R: What is N+1
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:22:37 GMT
friendVU admin wrote:
[...]d

> Ex: A common thing I used to consult on before Java was Performance and
> Tuning SQL DBs. A client would have a slow querry, and they say make it
> fast. I can! I used to take things that take 15 minutes down to split
> second. One tecquique is to break a complex querry into 2 simpler
> querries with less joins; even using a temporary tables. This
> exponentialy increased peformance to sub second.
> (also.. you avoid group by, distinct, order by... imagine sorting 30
> million records BEFORE you start to returun... and that you have 10,000
> concurent users each runing a variation on the querry. Lots of trick to
> get arround that).

I have experienced the same thing .V describes here. I had a query which
would have subselects counting certain things in the same table several
times with each subselect having joins to other tables. No amount of
indexing/joining was able to make it fast so selecting two sets of rows
and doing the operations manually speed it up dramatically.

Huy