ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Abdullah Kauchali <abdullah.kauch...@isanusi.com>
Subject Re: R: What is N+1
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 15:32:36 GMT
Clinton,

I can see the point when friendlyVU (???) spoke about getting details of
the appropriate parent.
"Appropriate" being the operative word.  (Lazy loading)

In all our database applications, we have *seldom* required the need to
work off a list of
Categories then require to display (use) all the children of the
different Categories viz. all the
different products of the *different* Categories.  We never needed it
somehow.

What we have required, however, is the proces the other way round.
Where we work off a list of Products
and while busy with them we require the details of their Categories.
So, it is n+1 the other way
round???

Currently we are using a second select with a IN statement containing a
comma delimited entries
of the unique parents.  We then do the "mapping" in code.

What are your thoughts on this?

Kind regards

Abdullah