ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Brandon Goodin <brandon.goo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multiple queries.
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2005 05:58:22 GMT
If i am understanding you correctly you need to execute a select that
you do not want to be in a transaction. Once the select is started you
want to process each row in their own transaction. Correct?

If that is true then this might be one of those JDBC is better kinda
things or a hybrid of JDBC and ibatis.

The IBatis architecture works in a single transaction to a thread
approach. If the transaction is not started by you then it will be
started by iBatis. The only exception would be if you managed the
transaction yourself external to ibatis and used the EXTERNAL
transaction manager. However, even with the EXTERNAL you would not be
able to accomplish your query without having started a transaction.

In the case you specified above the transaction is already started
with the queryWithRowHandler and stored on the thread. So, by the time
your RowHandler tries to call a startTransaction it already exists.

I'm not sure of how the behavior you are wanting would be accomplished
cleanly with iBatis. I would recommend that you look at coding this
one in JDBC. The hybrid approach would be to open a resultset outside
of ibatis that retrieves your large data set. As you iterate through
the resultset you can use ibatis to manage the smaller transaction
based calls to the database.

Maybe someone else has a more creative solution. But, this is all i
could come up with.

Brandon