ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Brice Ruth <bdr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: java.util.HashMap as resultClass
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:19:33 GMT
The Struts LabelValue bean is quite nice (and simple), though to use
it with iBATIS, I needed to created my own implementation that extends
the standard LabelValue bean, since what ships w/ Struts doesn't have
a default constructor (and hence is not useable with reflection). I
just extend the LabelValue bean and create a no arg constructor that
calls the (string,string) constructor with empty strings - then iBATIS
does the rest.

Using Struts html:optionsCollection is dead-simple then, just provide
it the property that contains the List populated from the iBATIS
queryForList(...) call.

By the way, I've recently really started using the common-beanutils
from Apache, they really are invaluable when working with an MVC
pattern, particularly Struts where you often have ActionForms,
DynaActionForms (map backed), etc. that you need to pull properties
out of and re-populate other beans to pass on to iBATIS or other
layers. Works great :)

Cheers!
Brice

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:44:27 -0800 (PST), Prashanth Sukumaran
<prashanthsukumaran@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Pascal,
>
> I think i understand what Brandon is trying to say. He is talking about using the right
pattern
> for the kind of job you are trying to achieve.
>
> If my guess is right. Looks like you trying to do this for your dropdowns.  I do it this
way and i
> feel it is much cleaner this way.
>
> public interface ValueObject{
>
>     /**
>      * Gets the iD attribute of the KeyValueObject object
>      *
>      * @return   The iD value
>      */
>     String getID();
>
>     /**
>      * Gets the value attribute of the KeyValueObject object
>      *
>      * @return   The value value
>      */
>     String getValue();
>
>   /**
>    * This method returns sort field
>    *
>    *
>    * @return value of sort field
>      */
>     public Object getSortFieldValue();
> }
>
> All Objects that you are using for Dropdowns will extend the ValueObject, and they will
implement
> the three methods.  In your case getID() will return SKU, getValue will return Description.
 and
> for the getSortFieldValue() have an empty implementation.  This way the bean can be used
for other
> things and also used for dropdowns.
>
> For the dropdowns have a common method that handles them or even struts has the LabelValue
bean.

> Rgds
> Prashanth.
>

> --- Pascal DeMilly <list.ibatis@newgenesys.com> wrote:
>
> > Well. It seems logical to me. Why would iBatis go into great length at
> > trying to map result in the SqlMap file then if it was not to limit the
> > knowledge of your database to that XML file. The dependency have to stop
> > somewhere and it seems to me the SqlMap file is the place where it
> > should stop. The DAO implementation classes should only know about the
> > iBatis map id and its expected POJO results not how your database
> > columns are named or it seems to me.
> >
> > Anyway, in my case while this solve one of my problem, queryForMap is
> > still not as efficient as it could be since it relies on queryForList.
> > So basically it is building two list. One with each element being a Map
> > of column name/value, then another map of only values. Would it be more
> > efficient to rewrite queryForMap to use a RowHandler?
> >

> > On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 10:15, Brandon Goodin wrote:
> > > Why is it a problem to have a code dependency in an "implementation"
> > > class? It is suppossed to be aware of IBatis SQLMap semantics. You
> > > interface over your DAO class should hide the specifics of your
> > > implementation code within your Dao.
> > >
> > > Brandon

I do: