ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Philippe Laflamme <philippe.lafla...@mail.mcgill.ca>
Subject Re: Dynamic insert stmt
Date Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:50:50 GMT
Hi Nilesh,

The purpose of the <dynamic> tag is mostly to solve this problem. Here's
how it works.

Consider the following snippet:
[...]
WHERE
   <isNotEmpty property="A" prepend="AND">A = #A#</isNotEmpty>
   <isNotEmpty property="B" prepend="AND">B = #B#</isNotEmpty>
[...]

The situation here is similar to yours: if A is empty and B is
non-empty, only the second isNotEmpty tag is evaluated and it would
result in something like this:
[...]
WHERE
   AND B = 'BValue'
[...]

Which obviously breaks... Now consider the following snippet:

[...]
<dynamic prepend="WHERE">
   <isNotEmpty property="A" prepend="AND">A = #A#</isNotEmpty>
   <isNotEmpty property="B" prepend="AND">B = #B#</isNotEmpty>
</dynamic>
[...]

See the "WHERE" keyword? Whenever tags are embedded, "prepend" tags are
pushed down the tree until the body of an embdedded tag is evaluated. In
the situation described above, the prepend="WHERE" would be pushed down
to the isNotEmpty tags. The tag for the "A" property is not evaluated,
so it moves on to the tag for the "B" property. In this case, its body
is evaluated so its "prepend" attribute becomes prepend="WHERE" and
prepend="AND" is pushed down (since no other tags are embedded, it
simply disapears). The result is:

WHERE
   B = 'BValue'

In your situation you should simply add <dynamic prepend=" "> and
</dynamic> tags.

<dynamic> tags can be used in any kind of statement (even insert). Read
the SQLMap guide carefully, it's pretty clear on how dynamic tags and
the prepend attribute behave...

Cheers,
Philippe