ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Clinton Begin <clinton.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SQL Maps and/or DAO
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:00:14 GMT
Hi Albert,

1) DAO is an abstraction layer that sits between your persistence
solution and your service/domain layer.  It serves to maintain a
consistent API and transaction management facility to all of the
higher layers (like service and domain).  Without it, you will end up
with various different types of artifacts from your persistence
solution (like Session, or Connection) all mixed together.  You'll
also find yourself more tied to your persistence solution.  One point
about DAO -- don't be afraid to write your own DAO!  iBATIS is one
implementation, but of anything else in iBATIS, DAO is the part that's
is often best written for your specific application and customized to
your needs.

2) The answer to this depends on which version of JPetStore you're
using.  JPetStore version 4 uses DAO 2.0 and SQL Maps 2.0.

Cheers,
Clinton

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:05:58 -0800 (PST), Daniel H. F. e Silva
<dhfs@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Albert,
>
>   Well, i'm not one of the masters of iBATIS but i'm going to try to answer your questions.
> Brandon, Larry and Clinton, please, you can slap me if i say something stupid. ;-)
>
>   1. DAO framework and SQL Maps framework are different things. You can use both to leverage
your
> application design, but, you can use anyone by itself. For example, i wrote once an application
> that used only DAO framework because i was not fetching data from a relational database
but from
> an LDAP data source. Doing so, DAO framework gave me a invaluable feature: decoupling.
No matter