ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Brandon Goodin" <Brandon.Goo...@plumcreek.com>
Subject Re: A few dumb questions
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:16:23 GMT
Good point. I can see the need when you are handling tabular data entry
or some sort of batch processing. However, as you stated, IBatis could
be part of a larger strategy that included using IBatis for the database
updates and something else for the dirty checking. As I mentioned
earlier, Clinton wrote a service framework for a client of his that does
dirty checking of objects and takes action when they have been altered.
It is not tied to the database only and lends itself to some cool
applications. It was quite intriguing to see how it worked.

Brandon

>>> oliver.zeigermann@gmail.com 11/30/2004 3:01:40 PM >>>

For my application dirty checking would improve performance quite a
bit. Consider you have (literally) hundreds of children, but only one
has changed and thus is needed to be stored back. This would increase
performance by a factor of 100. Isn't this something?

However, I suppose that adding this to SQL Maps would hardly fit SQL
Maps overall design and its primary goal of simplicity. Still, you can
just as well do this dirty checking manually...

I will read more of the developers guide and come back with less dumb
questions.

Oliver

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:51:06 -0700, Brandon Goodin
<brandon.goodin@plumcreek.com> wrote:

> Okay... I think we've been addressing two different points :D
>
> 1) Caching and database/sql tuning are the only ways to solve
database
> perfromance issues
> 2) Dirty checking provides for the ability to perform actions against
an
> object upon changes to that object or it's properties
> (update/insert/delete). But, does not solve performance issues
>
> We have tossed around the idea of adding some dirty checking in
SQLMaps.
> But, we have not really felt confident that it should be part of the
SQLMap