ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Oliver Zeigermann <oliver.zeigerm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A few dumb questions
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:53:02 GMT
Kris,

see comments inline...

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:05:39 +0000, Kris Jenkins
<krisajenkins@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>  The thing I like about SqlMap (that I vehemently dislike about most
> alternatives) is that it doesn't get in my way.  It gives me full unfettered
> access to the SQL that fetches my data.  So I know that if I can construct
> the SQL query, SqlMap can handle it.  Just as important, I know that if I
> /optimise/ that query, SqlMap won't assume it knows better.

I see, what is the benefit over using pure SQL, JDBC or something like
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbutils/index.html then?

>  3) if I store back a huge object which is only partly changed, how does
> ibatis know which data to store back? Does it compare the object to
> anything? Is caching involved in this? Or does it store back everything?
>  SqlMap doesn't do any 'dirtiness' checking on objects.  It won't know to
> only persist child[3], for example.  That falls on the programmer I'm
> afraid.

What you describe pretty much is my scenario. As I am still struggling
to get a feeling for ibatis how would such a solution look like? Would
I have a mapped statement for storing a child and would only call it
for child no. 3?

Thanks,

Oliver