ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Oliver Zeigermann <oliver.zeigerm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A few dumb questions
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:40:04 GMT
Hi Brandon,

thanks for your answers, more questions inline ;)

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:52:48 -0700, Brandon Goodin
<brandon.goodin@plumcreek.com> wrote:

> >1) which databases are known to work with ibatis? Really all known
> >ones? Or this there an explicite list?
>
> any database that has a jdbc driver that is spec compliant

Having read a number of answers I now think I understand. I write the
SQL, so I am responsible for the dialect and thus ibatis works for all
dbs, right?

If so is there any support for me supporting a number of databases? I
nice way to handle different dialects?

> >2) how ibatis compares to OBJ (http://db.apache.org/ojb) or hibernate?
> >What would be reasons for ibatis?
>
> Hibernate and OJB are ORM tools. IBatis is a SQL Mapping tool. You would use
> IBatis because it's functionality is much easier to grasp and it serves a
> clear concise purpose and sheds the uneeded complexities of ORM. It doesn't
> seek to be the Uber tool. I like our tagline "JDBC made easy".

I see. How does it relate to

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbutils/

then?

> Caching and dirty checking work fine when you have a database whose content
> is only altered through a single application. If there are any other changes
> that will be happening to the database then you will run into stale data
> issues. My recommendation is to only cache data that is rarely changed and
> not volatile.

I understand this is true for caching. I thought dirty checking
usually is done inside a transaction where I can be pretty sure the
data I have just read has not been changed in the meantime. Am I
wrong?

Thanks again,

Oliver