ibatis-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Benedict <pbened...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Direct-to-Field mappings now implemented.
Date Sat, 10 Feb 2007 18:57:45 GMT
Ah, non-academic use case... I don't mean to start a flame war, but
"Hibernate has it!" :-) There's probably a good chance a user of
Hibernate may have recommended this feature. And the purpose is to allow
properties to be set without having to expose getters.

I am strongly against allowing the developer to go fields explicitly. It
should be used totally as a fallback mechanism, and only then if
enabled. I agree with Jeff.

Jeff Butler wrote:
> Is there any realistic non-academic use case for bypassing the
> getters/setters if they exist?  In other words, if you want to go by
> plane then don't rent a car :)
> We really encourage people to keep their POJOs simple.  I'd sure hate to
> see us encourage wierd or overly complex design just because we can.
> Maybe we should bypass all the non-standard syntax and configuration
> options.  If you have getters/setters then we'll use them.  If not, then
> we'll use the fields directly.  End of story.
> Jeff Butler
> On 2/10/07, *Paul Benedict* <pbenedict@apache.org
> <mailto:pbenedict@apache.org>> wrote:
>     OGNL uses property notation syntax which calls getters and setters. As
>     for the parenthesis syntax, there is no precedent in the market for
>     such
>     a syntax being used to access fields directly. The syntax should be the
>     same (I want to navigate to X), with an additional attribute specifying
>     how it should be done (take me by plane or car).
>     Paul

View raw message