ibatis-dev mailing list archives

From "Clinton Begin" <clinton.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven for Build?
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:22:39 GMT
Really?  I think our build is great.  We just cloned it for a project
we're working on.

I'm a -1 for Maven for primary build.  Ant works fine and I'm pissed
that we need to do all of this to get a frigging pom file and a majic
jar full of Maven meta-bs?  Jeeez.  If someone else is willing to do
all the work to get us there, I'm cool with that.  But it MUST still
be a one-click build.  No external dependencies or extra steps, and
preferrably no downloading.....argh.  I hate maven.

And I'm a -10000 for Maven generated website.

Remember, we have .NET and Ruby projects too.

Grumpy Clinton

> I like the idea - it makes the checkout faster, and "mvn idea:idea" is
> worth it's weight in gold, and our current build.xml is a bugger, I
> hate it.
> So, I wonder if we can skin the generated site to make it not look
> like crap^H^H^H^H every other maven generated site. :-)
> Larry
> On 2/12/07, Brandon Goodin <brandon.goodin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey Guys,
> >
> > I wanted to throw a bone out to everyone and ask the question "Should we use
> > Maven for our build?". I put together a POM today that makes use of the
> > current iBATIS SQL Map structures. It is pretty darn simple and required
> > very little effort. The largest amount of my time was spent refactoring the
> > TestCL (Test Classloader) to use the current thread classloader as a parent
> > due to some incompatibilities with how Maven runs it's test. That aside, I
> > was surprised at how little effort it took to get the iBATIS SQLMap jar
> > built. Plus, Because of the dependency management of Maven I was able to
> > avoid having to use the oscache devsrc for oscache and avoid using the
> > devlib jars. I only used Maven to build the Data Mapper/SQL Map. I wasn't
> > familiar enough with Abator's build process to wire in Maven for it.
> >
> > Benefits:
> >
> > * I thought it would be good to aid in reducing the complexity of our
> > current build/deploy. If we want to provide our jars to the Maven crowd we
> > would be tasking the deploying member with taking the final jar built from
> > ant and running deploy:deploy-file for it. I have to say that I looked
> > through our release process and I really wouldn't want to add yet another
> > step. Seems like maven can consolidate this for us.
> > * We can run ant from within Maven if we so desire to continue performing
> > tasks that maven doesn't provide for.
> >
> > Additional benefits, thoughts, or concerns?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brandon

View raw message