ibatis-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Per User Datasources
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 13:25:51 GMT
> -1
> Even though I haven't used the C# version in months, I agree with Gilles.
> This sort of thing is the domain of a separate project, not iBATIS -
> it has precious little to do with data mapping.

The use case is being able to switch datasources on the fly,
especially databases within the same database management system.

This is an *extremely* common case. I've needed it, but haven't had
it, in *every* application I've ever shipped. We *always* need access
to to a training database. Most times, we end up with two copies of
the application, which is a maintenance burden.

Another *very* common use case is hosting. Many teams create an
application that is to be used by several different customers, and
each customer has their own dataset.

The data mapping issue is: How do we map different users to different
datasources that can all use the same statement mappings?

Gilles has provided one solution,

* http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/x/uhc

but it's a custom solution that everyone would have to implement on
their own, with some effort. My feeling is that supporting different
datasources for different users should be first-class feature.

So, let's change the question. In any version of iBATIS, what is an
*elegant* way to provide access to multiple datasources on a per-user
basis that can all use the same statement mappings?

View raw message