ibatis-dev mailing list archives

From "Larry Meadors" <lmead...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New iBATIS Documentation Format
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2006 13:35:29 GMT
Heheh, is this the politically correct way to say "they both suck"? ;-)

IMO, the dissonance is because they are trying to accomplish two very
different things:

XXE is an XML editor, not a word processor. It's goal is to make the
document structure correct.

OO Writer is a general purpose word processor that is intended to
replace Word, and it happens to have a docbook writer bolted on.

When I first used XXE, I found it to be really cumbersome, too...just
like the first time I used a real Java IDE. It tries to make sure you
don't screw stuff up (structurally), so you can't do whatever you want
wherever you want to - it forces you to play by the docbook rules.
It's a pain, but once you get used to it, it'll be like the difference
between using an IDE and notepad for editing Java source. With
notepad, you can put anything anywhere, right or wrong, but it's not
cumbersome at all. ;-)

On 10/4/06, Ted Husted <husted@apache.org> wrote:
> On 10/4/06, Ted Husted <husted@apache.org> wrote:
> > I'll try it again, but the last time I used XXE, I found it cumbersome
> > and distracting. OO is at least unobstrusive.
> I flipped back and forth between them for a while, and found each to
> be inadequate in different ways. I continued to be amazed at the lack
> of  adequate tools for collaborating on technical documentation.
> -Ted.

View raw message