ibatis-dev mailing list archives

From "Brandon Goodin" <brandon.goo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New iBATIS Documentation Format
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2006 14:05:27 GMT
personally, I would rather use my IDE which already does XML editing
according to a schema and tells me when i'm doing something goofy. Also, the
docbook is a base markup and not a final product. So, in the end it only
servers to be transformed into something useful. So, I already have a set of
tools that i use to do all that. I have an xml editor, xslt plugin, and
xpath plugin. That's really all i should need. Am i missing something?

> Heheh, is this the politically correct way to say "they both suck"? ;-)
> IMO, the dissonance is because they are trying to accomplish two very
> different things:
> XXE is an XML editor, not a word processor. It's goal is to make the
> document structure correct.
> OO Writer is a general purpose word processor that is intended to
> replace Word, and it happens to have a docbook writer bolted on.
> When I first used XXE, I found it to be really cumbersome, too...just
> like the first time I used a real Java IDE. It tries to make sure you
> don't screw stuff up (structurally), so you can't do whatever you want
> wherever you want to - it forces you to play by the docbook rules.
> It's a pain, but once you get used to it, it'll be like the difference
> between using an IDE and notepad for editing Java source. With
> notepad, you can put anything anywhere, right or wrong, but it's not
> cumbersome at all. ;-)
> Larry
> On 10/4/06, Ted Husted <husted@apache.org> wrote:
> > On 10/4/06, Ted Husted <husted@apache.org> wrote:
> > > I'll try it again, but the last time I used XXE, I found it cumbersome
> > > and distracting. OO is at least unobstrusive.
> >
> > I flipped back and forth between them for a while, and found each to
> > be inadequate in different ways. I continued to be amazed at the lack
> > of  adequate tools for collaborating on technical documentation.
> >
> > -Ted.

View raw message