ibatis-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Butler" <jeffgbut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multiple Result Set Support complete, 2.2.0 will fly within a week
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:56:35 GMT
I agree that no new JDK/JDBC features should be put into iBATIS 2.x.  But
I'd suggest that we don't make any grand pronouncements about 2.2.0 being
the last release except for maintenance.  It's hard to predict what the
future holds and we have no idea when iBATIS 3.0 might be released.  There
have been no substantive discussions about iBATIS 3.0 anywhere and we don't
have any idea how long it will take to develop such a thing.

So I'd just say that we plan to keep iBATIS 2.x using JDK 1.4.  I can't see
any value to declaring some kind of extended maintenance mode for
iBATIS 2.x- let's wait to do that until iBATIS
3.0 is somewhat close to a real product.

Jeff Butler

> Hi all,
> The good news is that I'm on vacation.  The bad news is that I spent the
> last 6 hours watching the first two extended edition Lord of the Rings
> movies while implementing the Multiple ResultSet support.
> That was the last "required" feature for 2.2.0 to go out, so I'm thinking
> it should be no more than a week before we see it deployed.  There may be a
> few more things to go, but certainly not of that size.
> Speaking of major features, I think that must be darn near the entire JDBC
> API we've wrapped with iBATIS, and iBATIS 2.0 is showing its age.  It's
> been in production for almost 2.5 years, which is great life to get out of
> any software.
> That said, with 2.2.0 out, I fully expect the next major version to be 3.0.
> I recommend 2.0 enter an extended maintenance mode, whereby we only fix
> bugs and make minor improvements to existing features.
> I don't suggest we attempt to leverage Java 5/6 or JDBC 3/4 features in
> iBATIS 2.x.
> Instead, I'm thinking iBATIS 3.0 should cover all of those, with 2.x still
> supported until JDK 1.4 drops to well below 15% usage (it's currently at
> around 80%).
> Thoughts welcome.
> Cheers,
> Clinton