ibatis-dev mailing list archives

From "Larry Meadors" <lmead...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Multiple Result Set Support complete, 2.2.0 will fly within a week
Date Sun, 13 Aug 2006 13:30:46 GMT
I totally agree that 2.x should not try and assimilate the new JDKs and the
new JDBC stuff - that should be tackled in 3.x instead.

On a related note, what JDBC drivers are at jdbc4 now?

Oracle, MySQL, and Sybase are on the expert group, but I poked around the
Oracle and MySQL sites looking for drivers, and came up empty. I don't
really care about Sybase, sorry. ;-)

Derby looks like they might have it in the nightly builds, but "There is no
guarantee that they will actually work nor that they will include optional
build components that are present in official releases, such as JSR169
support, OSGi support, and JDBC 4.0 support."

PostgreSQL look like they might have drivers, but I didn't find them
available for download either..or even mentioned on their site.

So, what that tells me is that if we are going to make iBATIS3 work with
JDBC4, we may need to help implement or at the very least test JDBC4, too. I
am OK with that, it might be fun to get into the guts of the JDBC spec and a
few driver implementations. ;-)

Thinking out loud...I wonder if it would be possible for iBATIS3 to sit
between the driver and the application in a way that it adds functionality
to the driver in a standard way? What I mean by that is could iBATIS
implement the JDBC4 specification, but really just be a wrapper for a JDBC4
driver that adds our funtionality to any existing driver? That would be

> Hi all,
> The good news is that I'm on vacation.  The bad news is that I spent the
> last 6 hours watching the first two extended edition Lord of the Rings
> movies while implementing the Multiple ResultSet support.
> That was the last "required" feature for 2.2.0 to go out, so I'm thinking
> it should be no more than a week before we see it deployed.  There may be a
> few more things to go, but certainly not of that size.
> Speaking of major features, I think that must be darn near the entire JDBC
> API we've wrapped with iBATIS, and iBATIS 2.0 is showing its age.  It's
> been in production for almost 2.5 years, which is great life to get out of
> any software.
> That said, with 2.2.0 out, I fully expect the next major version to be 3.0.
> I recommend 2.0 enter an extended maintenance mode, whereby we only fix
> bugs and make minor improvements to existing features.
> I don't suggest we attempt to leverage Java 5/6 or JDBC 3/4 features in
> iBATIS 2.x.
> Instead, I'm thinking iBATIS 3.0 should cover all of those, with 2.x still
> supported until JDK 1.4 drops to well below 15% usage (it's currently at
> around 80%).
> Thoughts welcome.
> Cheers,
> Clinton