ibatis-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Benedict <paul4chris...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Does JDBC 4.0 make iBATIS redundant?
Date Sat, 05 Aug 2006 03:50:53 GMT
I saw some JDBC 4.0 and it does not make ibatis obsolete. For instance, annotations are not
inheritable but you can extend sqlmaps. Also there will always be a need for XML configuration
because not everyone wants their mappings statically-linked into their code; it is impossible
to change without recompiling. Furthermore, the churn for turnaround in Sun is slow because
the JCP is a snail -- you guys can provide more enhancements and releases than the JDK ever
could. No worries here.

Clinton Begin <clinton.begin@gmail.com> wrote: Hi all,

I just picked this up from InfoQ.  What do you think?
Blogger Patrick Lightbody noted "I could see JDBC 4.0 replacing my need for iBatis" after
reading another blog post on JDBC 4.0 functionality. JDBC 4.0 includes basic O/R mapper functionality
that eases the repetitive task of copying ResultSet data into objects. It does not handle
inheritance or table relations however.

Patrick's a good guy and a respected developer.  I appreciate his opinion.  Obviously, this
is only useful for people running JDK 5 or possibly only JDK 6.  And of course, Annotation
support would be an almost brainless effort to implement for iBATIS.
               Your thoughts?

See the all-new, redesigned Yahoo.com.  Check it out.
View raw message