ibatis-dev mailing list archives

From "Clinton Begin" <clinton.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Does JDBC 4.0 make iBATIS redundant?
Date Sat, 05 Aug 2006 14:21:24 GMT
Thanks Paul, those are good thoughts.  I think we can easily match and beat
anything they come up with, and support it on JDK 4 and 5 for years to come.

JDK 5 is still only around 15 - 20% adoption since I last checked...and
there's an equal number still on JDK 1.3.  I don't see it being a
significant threat any time soon at least...

On 8/4/06, Paul Benedict <paul4christ79@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I saw some JDBC 4.0 and it does not make ibatis obsolete. For instance,
> annotations are not inheritable but you can extend sqlmaps. Also there will
> always be a need for XML configuration because not everyone wants their
> mappings statically-linked into their code; it is impossible to change
> without recompiling. Furthermore, the churn for turnaround in Sun is slow
> because the JCP is a snail -- you guys can provide more enhancements and
> releases than the JDK ever could. No worries here.
> Paul
> *Clinton Begin <clinton.begin@gmail.com>* wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just picked this up from InfoQ.  What do you think?
> =====================
> Blogger Patrick Lightbody noted "I could see JDBC 4.0 replacing my need
> for iBatis" after reading another blog post on JDBC 4.0<http://weblogs.java.net/blog/forax/archive/2006/08/create_or_drop.html>functionality.
> 4.0 includes basic O/R mapper functionality that eases the repetitive task
> of copying ResultSet data into objects. It does not handle inheritance or
> table relations however.
> =====================
> http://www.infoq.com/news/Easier-Database-Development-JDBC
> Patrick's a good guy and a respected developer.  I appreciate his
> opinion.  Obviously, this is only useful for people running JDK 5 or
> possibly only JDK 6.  And of course, Annotation support would be an almost
> brainless effort to implement for iBATIS.
> Your thoughts?
> Clinton
> See the all-new, redesigned Yahoo.com. Check it out.<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=40762/*http://www.yahoo.com/preview>

View raw message