ibatis-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Butler" <jeffgbut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Abator..
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2006 13:05:05 GMT
Hi Larry,

No offense taken - I'm glad someone else is finally looking at it!

The massive amounts of code come from the "by example" methods.  If you turn
them off, it will eliminate the vast majority of the code and the generated
code will be very simple.

I've been working on new ways to make these methods shorter, but given that
people want all kinds of flexability with them (like specifying type
handlers), it's difficult to do.

Maybe I should make the "by example" methods not generate by default, then
it wouldn't be so intimidating.

With flexability comes complexity - no way around it.

> OK, I tried abator this weekend to see what it was like - it seems to
> be generating alot of traffic, which got me wondering what I was
> missing.
> So, I downloaded and unzipped it (no eclipse for me, thanks), and
> tweaked out a config file for a project I am working on and ran it on
> a couple of tables.
> It ran OK, so I popped open the code to see what I had.
> I am not sure how to say this, and I do not mean to be discouraging,
> but I was shocked to see so much code. Like not in a good way - 7,777
> lines of code and xml in 10 files for 2 medium sized tables.
> Extrapolating that out to a system with 50-60 tables put me in the
> 200,000 - 250,000 line range.
> If I were an iBATIS beginner, it would have been so intimidating that
> I'd have moved on to another tool like hibernate or db-commons without
> a second look at iBATIS.
> With that in mind, I re-evaluated the mail that has been coming about
> it, and got started thinking about it. Obviously, people are using it,
> so it's not all bad, I just think we can find a better solution.
> While I think that Abator does address a problem with iBATIS (i.e.
> creating simple sql by hand sucks), it is not a tool I'd recommend or
> use in it's current state for a couple of reasons. First is the sheer
> amount of code it creates - 200,000 lines for 50 tables is
> unmanageable. Second is the amount of duplication in the generated
> code - the dao implementation was 3,000 lines long, and nearly all
> repetitive.
> Jeff, I hope you don't read this and take it personally or get
> discouraged by it, I think you are fun guy to have on the team, and a
> very practical problem-solver (both great traits in a developer). I
> just brought this up, because I want everyone to look at it as it
> grows, and make sure that it matures into something that fits with the
> philosophy of iBATIS, and improves the framework.
> Larry

View raw message