ibatis-dev mailing list archives

From "Larry Meadors" <lmead...@apache.org>
Subject Abator..
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:04:33 GMT
OK, I tried abator this weekend to see what it was like - it seems to
be generating alot of traffic, which got me wondering what I was

So, I downloaded and unzipped it (no eclipse for me, thanks), and
tweaked out a config file for a project I am working on and ran it on
a couple of tables.

It ran OK, so I popped open the code to see what I had.

I am not sure how to say this, and I do not mean to be discouraging,
but I was shocked to see so much code. Like not in a good way - 7,777
lines of code and xml in 10 files for 2 medium sized tables.
Extrapolating that out to a system with 50-60 tables put me in the
200,000 - 250,000 line range.

If I were an iBATIS beginner, it would have been so intimidating that
I'd have moved on to another tool like hibernate or db-commons without
a second look at iBATIS.

With that in mind, I re-evaluated the mail that has been coming about
it, and got started thinking about it. Obviously, people are using it,
so it's not all bad, I just think we can find a better solution.

While I think that Abator does address a problem with iBATIS (i.e.
creating simple sql by hand sucks), it is not a tool I'd recommend or
use in it's current state for a couple of reasons. First is the sheer
amount of code it creates - 200,000 lines for 50 tables is
unmanageable. Second is the amount of duplication in the generated
code - the dao implementation was 3,000 lines long, and nearly all

Jeff, I hope you don't read this and take it personally or get
discouraged by it, I think you are fun guy to have on the team, and a
very practical problem-solver (both great traits in a developer). I
just brought this up, because I want everyone to look at it as it
grows, and make sure that it matures into something that fits with the
philosophy of iBATIS, and improves the framework.

View raw message