ibatis-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <ted.hus...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: [OSS] Page updated in iBATIS DataMapper: Release Process
Date Sun, 06 Nov 2005 14:05:49 GMT
The release process page looks pretty good to me. We might want to take the
"In Progress" label down.

>From an ASF perspective, the important thing is that there is sufficient
support in the community for a release. The benchmark for gauging that
support is three +1s by PMC members, and more +1 than -1s by PMC members
overall. Everyone is invited to vote, but only the PMC member votes are
"binding". (Since the PMC is the group that the ASF officialy recognizes as
the project managers.)

All the other processes, like a release plan and the Alpha/Beta/GA gauntlet,
are just there to make it easier for us to garner community support.

Also, ASF votes are not written in stone. If something comes to our
attention later, we can change our vote, and change the status of a release.
We *do* need the votes -- no one person can authorize a release -- but we
don't need to wait any longer than necessary. If we get enough votes all at
once, we can publish a GA whenever we like as quickly as we like. We just
have to be mindful that if the tally of the vote changes later, then the
status of the release may also change.

It's important to remember that a +1 from a PMC member isn't just saying
that it "works for me". It also means that "I will help". The reason we want
at least three votes is because we want to be sure there are at three people
available to actively support the release.

HTH, Ted.