httpd-users mailing list archives

From "rexkogitans@gmx.at" <rexkogit...@gmx.at>
Subject [users@httpd] H2Upgrade treated globally instead of locally
Date Sun, 10 Mar 2019 09:51:32 GMT
Hello,

I already posted this at Stack Exchange here:

https://serverfault.com/questions/957276/why-is-a-directive-within-a-virtual-host-considered-global

For sake of persistence, I quote the essential of the question here.

The documentation of the H2Upgrade directive in the httpd documentation
about HTTP/2 says that

     This should be used inside a <VirtualHost> section to enable
Upgrades to HTTP/2 for that virtual host.

I have two virtual hosts, both listening on plain HTTP only. This is my
httpd config:

<VirtualHost *:80>
     Protocols h2c http/1.1 http/1.0
     H2Upgrade on
     DocumentRoot /var/www/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
     Protocols h2c http/1.1 http/1.0
     H2Upgrade off
     ServerName test.mydomain.loc
     DocumentRoot /var/www/apps
</VirtualHost>

Tests with curl show that with varying the host name, the correct
virtual host is chosen (it is easy to tell them apart, as they have
different document root directories).

curl --http2 -vLo- 'http://test.mydomain.loc/test.html'

However, only the directive H2Upgrade in the first (default) virtual
host is used for both virtual hosts. In the second virutal host, the
directive is completely useless.

This is a Debian Linux 9.8 with httpd 2.4.25, so it is not the newest
version. Since I do not have time to compile httpd on my own, I want to
ask if:

* This issue is known and may be already fixed in a newer version?

* Or if this issue is not known, and it is a new bug I found?

* Or if this is not a bug, but then there is something I really do not
understand. Maybe someone can tell me what I did wrong.

Kind regards,

rexkogitans