httpd-users mailing list archives

From angel Hall-Coulston <rammstein...@me.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] port forwarding and other options for having access to my apache server through the ip address
Date Sun, 13 Jan 2019 16:32:43 GMT
Hi,
Also be very careful that you are not breaching the Terms of your ISP. They for obvious reasons
don’t allow just anybody to serve websites or other files…. You have to have permission
as they WILL find you out and if it’s against terms, they could block you…
It’s ALWAYS best to have a static IP assigned for stability…
Don’t want to be a spoilsport, just giving fair warning !

> On 11 Jan 2019, at 22:19, John <john.iliffe@iliffe.ca> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure about your configuration so this might be irrelevant, but try looking at
all the moving parts here.

> For example, since your IP is dynamic, how are you doing address resolution on the Internet?
Does your
> address resolver have the correct real address? Try pinging yourself.
>
> If that works, then see where the router is sending port 80. The internal router is probably
a NAT arrangement,
> so check that the port 80 destination setting is for your server machine. (ie, suppose
you are at Inet address
> 205.100.1.1, and that you can really ping this address. Where does the router send port
80 to?) It should
> be something like 192.168.1.xxx. Is this your local server's address? If DHCP it could
easily change periodically.
> If so. make the internal address static.
>
> If your actual firewall doesn't support static NAT addresses, you can usually force the
issue by giving the server
> a static address that it will always use to connect.
>
> If all that works, then look at the firewall router's log. Most of them retain a log
of connections and failed
> connections. See if your attempt to connect actually made it to your firewall and how
it disposed of it, One
> comment, these logs are about as arcane as anything I have ever seen!
>
> Be careful, when you change settings you can make a real mess if you guess wrong! Be
sure you know what
> you did so you can back out without having to re-initialize.
>
> Just as a last desperate idea, when you make a firewall/router change, power cycle it,
just in case the change
> didn't get picked up.
>
> After that, sorry, off of ideas.
>
> John
> =================================
> On Fri, 2019-01-11 at 14:23 -0700, Jonathon Koyle wrote:
>> The only other suggestions I have are to Verify that your server is accessible from
another machine, not blocked by a firewall or only listening on loopback.  It isn't likely
to be an ISP issue unless they try to restrict you from serving a website...

<mailto:e.arapostathis@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> well, i have a dynamic ip but this is not my problem. I also portforwarded port
80 before sending current question but I still do not have access.

>>> There are some years passed since the last time I port-forwarded apache server
and I thought that maybe some additional modifications from apache-server side are needed
as the updates pass through time.

>>> I guess I have to contact my ISP again, it could be an ISP issue.
>>> thank you very much for the quick responses.

<x-msg://1/#m_-8740454897196676016_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
 Many Consumer ISP packages provide dynamic, so the public IP address changes periodically,
often a day or two in my experience.  Also note this won't be the IP address of your host
machine, but the IP assigned to the router.

other necessary configurations in order to open up my localhost to the web and letting internet
users to access my locally stored pages by putting my ip address.

have support and I received zero responses from the router's support service. I think I have
added a port in my router's menu but still internet users do not have access on it.

with mapserver and few other mapping tools.