httpd-users mailing list archives

From Paul Gardiner <li...@glidos.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] gitweb permission problems with new install
Date Sat, 16 Jun 2018 15:02:49 GMT
On 15/06/2018 16:19, Paul Gardiner wrote:

> openSUSE Leap 42.3, Apache 2.4.23:
>   I have gitweb working just fine.
>
> openSUSE Leap 15.0, Apache 2.4.33:
>   gitweb cannot access my git repository
>   Shows error: "gitweb.cgi: Can't opendir(/export/git): Permission
> denied: /usr/share/gitweb/gitweb.cgi"
>

> I've searched through the apache config and can find no differences,
> other than on 42.3 user wwwrun has group www, whereas on 15.0 it has
> group wwwrun and is also a member of www. /export/git has group www.
> I've tried changing it to wwwrun. That changes the error to:
> "gitweb.cgi: Can't cd to /export/git: Permission denied:
> /usr/share/gitweb/gitweb.cgi"
>
> I'm loading exactly the same set of apache modules, other than one
> uses php5 and the other php7 (gitweb.cgi is written in perl).
>
> Leap 15.0 includes apparmor, but I see no messages from it. I've tried
> stopping apparmor to no effect.
>
> Can anyone suggest a way to track down the cause?

It was caused by apparmor. I needed to edit the file
/etc/apparmor.d/usr.share.git-web.gitweb.cgi. There were two lines

  /srv/git/ r,
  /srv/git/** r,

I needed to edit those to match my repo root.

I realise this isn't really an apache issue, but having asked the
question, I thought it worth posting the fix in case someone with the
same problem happens across my question.