httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] RE: Web sockets & proxypass - No protocol handler was valid for the URL
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2017 13:53:13 GMT
> I’m using an adaptation of Eric’s rewrite rule from the bottom of this email (only
difference is just http and ws, rather than https and wss).

> RewriteEngine on
> RewriteCond %{HTTP:Upgrade} "(?i)websocket"
> RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ ws://localhost:3000/$1 [P]
> ProxyPass        / http://localhost:3000/
>
> I have confirmed that the request makes it to the localhost:3000, but with the upgrade
header missing.

> I have also confirmed that the client request from the browser does have the upgrade
header.

> I am wondering whether the use of a rewriterule with the “P” flag is the reason the
upgrade header hasn’t been included.  I wonder this because it is pretty widely reported
to work fine when using ProxyPass to ws uri.

I will have to look more later, but what's your exact httpd version? I
think if Upgrade is not preserved it implies mod_proxy_http was used
via either ProxyPass or some failure in mod_proxy_wstunnel taking over
-- so LogLevel trace8 might help.