httpd-users mailing list archives

From Yann Ylavic <ylavic....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Increasing packet size to 64 KB on mod_proxy and mod_proxy_balancer
Date Sat, 16 Sep 2017 20:39:32 GMT
Hi Dhilli,

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 3:44 PM, DhilliPrasad Nellepalli
<ndhilliprasad@gmail.com> wrote:

> We see high latency when the headers go above 8 KB. to debug the issue we
> have monitored the traffic from apache to netty with wireshark.
>
> We noticed that apache is sending request in multiple packets to netty. This
> is adding latency in processing the request.

mod_prox_http sends the HTTP header (all the headers) in a one go,
although some filters in the chain may "fragment" it (like mod_ssl,
but that'd be 16K packets per TLS record size max).

> Is there a way to increase the packet size to higher value like 64 KB in
> mod_proxy. I know this can be achieved with modJK and AJP. But I don't
> believe netty supports AJP.
>
> We are running out of options in solving the issue.

It looks more like a limit on the system, TCP (send) buffers size?
This is not something that can be forced on the mod_proxy side (no
ProxySendBufferSize similar to SendBufferSize for the client
connection), but it can be tuned by default on the system.

Regards,
Yann.