httpd-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Eissing <stefan.eiss...@greenbytes.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache HTTP Server 2.4.27 Released
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2017 14:25:15 GMT

> Am 11.07.2017 um 16:13 schrieb David Copeland <david.copeland@jsidata.ca>:
>
> I had it set up on an essentially a private site to try it so the volume was very low,
and so I never had a problem.

It can work in certain configurations. Especially if you *only* serve static files. As soon
as mod_php, proxy connections or gzip/brotli content compression gets in the mix, it may get
slow or stop working altogether.

This is not a bug, but a principle collision between HTTP/2 parallel requests and mpm_prefork
single-threaded model. In pre-2.4.26, we kept it single threaded and people experienced bad
performance and locks. In 2.4.26 will had several threads and people experienced the crashes
of mod_php.

People that require prefork are better served with the 6 parallel connections of HTTP/1.1
clients. People who do not have to run their server single-threaded are better off with mpm_event.
There is no good comfort place for h2+prefork. We think we can invest our time better in other
places.

Cheers,

Stefan