httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nigel Peck <np.li...@sharphosting.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] AllowOverride - Mis-behaving Default
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2017 05:21:22 GMT
> On 18 Jun 2017, at 23:41, Frank <thumbs@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Nigel,
>
> The point is that the default value changed for 2.3 (and hence 2.4), and you seem to
be missing it, yes.

> As for why that change was made, the development mailing list might be better suited
for that thread.

No Frank, I'm not missing the point at all. I'm afraid that's you. I will explain again. Please
read carefully and understand this time before replying.

The default for AllowOverride is None on my version. If I make use of that default setting,
and do not specify any value for AllowOverride in any way at all, it does not behave in the
same way as if I specify None explicitly.

Specifically, .htaccess files are looked for and opened if present, which is not the specified
behaviour for a setting of None. The behaviour is correct if I specify None explicitly (.htaccess
files are not processed in any way), if I allow None to be specified implicitly, by not setting
AllowOverride at all, and using the default, then they are processed, albeit creating an error
that the settings are not allowed. With a setting of None, this should not happen, since they
should not be opened at all.

Nigel