httpd-users mailing list archives

From Benoit GEORGELIN - Association Web4all <benoit.george...@web4all.fr>
Subject [users@httpd] reload specific vhost configuration
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2017 18:59:40 GMT
Hi everyone,

I was wondering, how hard would it be for apache to be able to reload one specific vhost configuration
file ?
I'm not a developer, but I would like to have your point of view about this subject.

I know, it's possible to configure dynamic vhost , using specific pattern in the vhost configuration
.
But I would it be too difficult to have something like :

- httpd start
- all vhost are loaded into memory, let say with specific id to refer to (if that possible
in memory?)

Then, if i want to reload a specific vhost configuration file I will do :

httpd reload /path/to/vhost

And next incoming connexion will be handle buy this new configuration file.

Running httpd and reloading is fine until there is a lot of vhost ( > 10k)
Managing 10k vhost become a lot more complicated when 1 of the vhost have to change te configuration
of the vhost.
Reloading apache take some time, and I guess, checking if the docroot exist is part of the
delay. Maybe I could just change this behavior ? I think it's possible on startup but not
on reload.

Having the possibility to reload the configuration , without killing the connexion or anything
too demanding , would be nice so the next request will take the new values .

Could it be done by an httpd module ? or should it be in the core ?

I appreciate your input .

Thanks

Cordialement,

BenoƮt G