httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nigel Peck <np.li...@sharphosting.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] AllowOverride - Mis-behaving Default
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2017 21:17:38 GMT

Hi,

According to the documentation[1], the default for `AllowOverride` is
`None`, and when `AllowOverride` is set to `None`, .htaccess files are
not read at all.

When I set `AllowOverride` to `None` explicitly, I find that is the
behaviour I see, but when I don't specify it at all, the .htaccess file
is still read and I receive a ".htaccess: [...] not allowed here" error.
So it looks like even though no override is allowed by default, the
`.htaccess` file is still being read when `None` is not specified
explicitly.

This is with Apache 2.4.6 on CentOS 7, so perhaps it has been fixed in a
later version, but I am not in a position to easily test that, so
thought I'd mention it here in case it's useful.

If this is expected behaviour then the documentation could be clearer on
this point. It states:

"When this directive is set to None and AllowOverrideList is set to
None, .htaccess files are completely ignored."

So leaving it as the default should surely exhibit the same behaviour as
setting the default explicitly?

Best,
Nigel

[1] https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/core.html#allowoverride