httpd-users mailing list archives

From KASPAR Sandro <sandro.kas...@hsr.ch>
Subject [users@httpd] cgi script error output logging
Date Wed, 10 May 2017 13:59:28 GMT

Hi,

According to this documentation http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/logs.html everything a
cgi script sends to stderr is written to the apache  error log file.

Unfortunately I can not control those scripts running on my server and often garbage is sent
to stderr and then written to my error log. Because there isn't even a timestamp or any other
useful information on those lines, I can't find out, which vhost created  the error. In addition
those log lines often lack a "new line" at the end, and it the next log message gets appended
to the current line instead of being written to a new line. Because of this, the next line
which would have been in the correct format is also lost, because it can't be parsed automatically
anymore.

Is there any way to change this behaviour? What I would like to achieve is to have the cgi
errors in a seperate logfile or even better change the log format of these lines. For example
prefix the log line with the vhost and a timestamp.
Because I don't have control over the cgi scripts, I would need to configure this in apaches
main or vhost configuration. Unfortunately I could not find anything about cgi script output
logging in the apache documentation (except that everything sent to  stderr is written to
httpd-error.log) or mailing list archives.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sandro Kaspar