httpd-users mailing list archives

From Vinod Mulani <vm390...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache 2.4.25: Attempting to load balance websockets in conjunction with ProxyPassMatch
Date Fri, 12 May 2017 12:45:33 GMT
I would love some inputs on the attempted configuration for load balancing
websocket & http requests in conjunction with ProxyPassMatch.

I am trying to load balance via Apache 2.4.25 two instances of an
application which intrinsically uses nginx as its internal proxy. It seems
straightforward to use Apache as a reverse proxy for a single instance with
the IP address 10.x.x.x, the traffic capture suggests that the websocket
upgrade from http is successful.

*ProxyPass / "http://10.x.x.x/ <http://10.x.x.x/>" *
*ProxyPassReverse / "http://10.x.x.x/ <http://10.x.x.x/>"*
*ProxyPassMatch "^/(.*\websocket)$" "ws://10.x.x.x:80/$1"*

However, as soon as i attempt to utilize the balancer module for websockets
in conjunction with ProxyPassMatch, the websocket handshake is not
successful and the traffic capture from the browser debug suggests a 400
error for bad request.
In my opinion that's odd since the request header seems identical and so
does the requested url for the earlier successful websocket upgrade.

   *Header add Set-Cookie "ROUTEID=.%{BALANCER_WORKER_ROUTE}e; path=/"
env=BALANCER_ROUTE_CHANGED*
*   ProxyPass / balancer://balservers/ stickysession=ROUTEID nofailover=Off*
*   ProxyPassReverse / balancer://balservers*
*   ProxyPassMatch "^/(.*\websocket)$" "balancer://wsbalservers/"*

*   <Proxy balancer://balservers>*
*   BalancerMember  "http://10.x.x.x <http://10.x.x.x>" loadfactor=50
route=node1 ttl=1200 smax=5*
*   BalancerMember  "http://10.y.y.y <http://10.y.y.y>" loadfactor=50
route=node2 ttl=1200 smax=5*
*   ProxySet lbmethod=byrequests*
*   ProxySet stickysession=ROUTEID*
*   </Proxy>*

*   <Proxy balancer://wsbalservers>*
*   BalancerMember  "ws://10.x.x.x:80/$1" loadfactor=50 route=node1
ttl=1200 >smax=5*
*   BalancerMember  "ws://10.y.y.y:80/$1" loadfactor=50 route=node2
ttl=1200 >smax=5*
*   ProxySet stickysession=ROUTEID*
*   </Proxy>*

I did try commenting node2 in both balancer configurations to rule out any
session stickiness issues although that did not help or change anything.

For the record, is the proxypassmatch and balancer combination not feasible
? It does pass the syntax check so I assume its ok.

Regards,
VM