httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Houser, Rick" <rick.hou...@jackson.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] external log reader not getting restarted every hour
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2017 12:44:44 GMT
Stick with rotatelogs and adjust your program (or provide a separate helper) to read the logs
from disk as a traditional log parser?  That way, you have standard logging behavior, your
customizations aren’t altering httpd behavior, and you could even drop your utility onto
an existing Apache server with no config changes.

Rick Houser
Web Administration

From: Milind Vaidya [mailto:kavadsa@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 17:31
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] external log reader not getting restarted every hour

I have following setting in my httpd.conf

ErrorLog "| /usr/bin/tee -a /var/log/httpd/error_log |  java program reading msgs from stdinput"

The error_log file gets rotated using logrotate every hour.

The java program has following statement

while ((msg = this.stdinReader.readLine()) != null) {

}

This essentially reads the lines till EOF is encountered.  After this I close all the resources
and the main method ends.

Earlier I was NOT ending the program when EOF was encountered. So apache used to start new
process every hour keeping old one intact. But this stopped happening when the logic to terminate
program was added when EOF is encountered.

But now this does not seem to work with everything else remaining same. Now the same process
keeps on running for days together which is little worrisome as does not look like the normal
behaviour.

What are my debugging options here.