httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Houser, Rick" <rick.hou...@jackson.com>
Subject [users@httpd] RE: Apache Builds on Linux
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2017 12:57:13 GMT
Don't move stuff around once you have things built, or you will break things, just like with
most other non-trivial software.  The --prefix is where you intend for it to live once all
is done, so if you want it to live in /opt/WebSite/Apache1, just put that in the prefix.
If you want to temporarily place the build in an alternate location before an install (ex.
for packaging, use something like this with the make build and install targets: %make DESTDIR=%{buildroot}.
 Also, this is probably a typo, but you have a space in your prefix path.

Rick Houser
Web Administration

From: Abernathy, Don [mailto:DAbernathy@MFS.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2017 07:51
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Apache Builds on Linux

EXTERNAL EMAIL

Preface this with new to this subject but:

We have always used an apache instance that was a bundled solution, such at IBM version, and
now want to build our own. The build process is well documented, that is not the issue, the
deployment is the issue.
what I did was use a prefix like /opt/BaseBuild and that works as expected but now when I
copy that Apache to a new home,  say /opt/WebSite/Apache1 and try to start it, it keeps pointing
to /opt/BaseBuild.

I tried editing all the config files to use the new home, but it looks like the path the logs/files/libraries
are all hard coded to the orignal path and noticed that If you remove/ rename the orginal
path, Apache will no longer start.
Assume I am going about this wrong, and want to really build a deployable version of Apache
to be used many times with a minor change in the path on many servers.
A google does not really show how to do this, so either I am doing it wrong, or this is not
common practice, but still something I need to do.

Here is a sample config command:

./configure --prefix=/ opt/BaseBuild  --with-suexec-bin=bin/suexec   --enable-mods-shared=all
--with-mpm=worker --enable-ssl  --with-ssl   --enable-proxy   --enable-cache  --enable-disk-ache
--with-ldap  --enable-ldap --enable-authnz-ldap  --enable-cgid  --enable-authn-anon --enable-file-cache
--enable-authn-alias  --disable-imagemapc

Then you make,  and Make install.

Thanks.

MFS Email system made the following annotation
This email communication and any attachments may contain proprietary, confidential, or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this email in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution
or copying of it or its contents is prohibited. The sender does not waive confidentiality
or any privilege by mistransmission. If you have received this email in error, please notify
the sender immediately, delete this email, and destroy all copies and any attachments.