httpd-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Frank <danthehit...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Forward Proxy on behalf of the client instead of as a tunnel
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2017 23:16:48 GMT
All,

I am trying to set Apache up as a forward proxy to help solve an issue that
we have where an HTTP Client in our application does not support TLS 1.2
but an API that we need to consume only supports TLS 1.2.  What I am
attempting to do is use Apache to talk HTTPS/TLS 1.2 to the target API but
allow my internal client to talk to the proxy over HTTP.

I had it in my head that this was what a forward proxy was going to give me
so after having set up a forward proxy and configuring my application to
use it I was surprised to see that I was getting exactly the same behavior
that I was getting when I had no proxy configured (failure of my internal
client to speak TLS 1.2).

So my question is; can Apache be configured as a FORWARD proxy to speak
HTTP with the caller but HTTPS to the callee?

I have spent a lot of time searching and I did check the mailing list
archives but it's entirely possible that I just dont even know what to
search for to get a good answer so if this is a dumb question I sincerely
apologize for wasting the groups time.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Dan