httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Houser, Rick" <rick.hou...@jackson.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Unable to fork new process
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2017 20:52:33 GMT
Where and what is the leak?  If it’s in the workers (the parts running as non-root), perhaps
just set a request limit so they keep cycling out automatically within Apache and getting
replaced seamlessly with new children?  If it’s in the higher level processes (the root
owned ones), that’s not going to work.  I could be mistaken, but I thought a process or
thread limit also gave a message similar to that, so double check your ulimit settings.  Adding
memory not helping you further implies you are running up against a software limit of some
kind.

Rick Houser
Web Administration

From: Darryl Philip Baker [mailto:darryl.baker@northwestern.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 14:08
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Unable to fork new process

First I am assuming you are using the Red Hat distributed version. Is upgrading to Apache
httpd 2.4 from the Red Hat Software Collection an option?

I can think of several options to detect and automate the restart as a remediation. One would
be to script a memory watcher using the free command and automatically executing the restart
steps you do manually. The run the script out of cron every 5 minutes.

For a fix you might want to peruse the release note for Apache versions of 2.2 after 2.2.15,
and the mods, for memory leak fixes and see if Red Hat has backported them into their version.
If you find one that wasn’t backported time to nudge Res Hat. Maybe someone on this list
more in tune with the releases can point you at one or two of these.  Or just build a newer
version of Apache 2.2 from source

Darryl Baker
NIT - CI -DAPS
X76674