httpd-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boyandin <li...@boyandin.info>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache 2.4.18 (Ubuntu 16.04): run user must be lock directory owner, or Apache falls back to default run user id
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2017 04:14:00 GMT
Hello,

Apache: 2.4.18 (last available from Ubuntu 16.04 standard repository).

If Apache run-time user (APACHE_RUN_USER var) is changed to anything but
default (www-data, I am using Ubuntu), Apache lock directory
(APACHE_LOCK_DIR var) should first be chown'ed by that new user,
otherwise Apache silently uses lock directory's current owner's UID (by
default, www-data).

I checked the docs, including Debian-specific README, the above behavior
isn't mentioned. Is it Debian/Ubuntu-specific? If not, it should, as I
understand, be clearly documented and warning should be posted either
when 'apache2ctl -t' runs, and/or when Apache2 process starts.

As I understand it, when the software ignores user-defined settings due
to some inconsistency, that should be logged somewhere, or warned about
at startup.

Thanks.

Regards,
Konstantin