httpd-users mailing list archives

From Kristian Rink <kawazu...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_proxy_balancer and multiple (dynamic) backends?
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2016 09:57:35 GMT
Folks;

unsure whether this is the right place to ask and whether this is possible to be accomplished
out of
the box at all: So far we run an apache 2.4 mod_proxy balancer in front of several backend
services.
So far there are four backend instances configured into one balancer. This works pretty well
but it
has a drawback: We can't easily add new instances at runtime without manually changing and
reloading
the apache configuration. Likewise, I would appreciate having a process that dynamically and
automatically adds new balancer backends while "deactivating" old ones to be at least sure
no new
sessions go there so it can be brought down as soon as all active sessions have ended.

Is this kind of "dynamics" possible with apache / mod_proxy / balancer? Any recommendations
on that?
TIA and all the best,
Kristian