httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Alexandru Duzsardi" <alexandru.duzsa...@pitechnologies.ro>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] How does this configuration work?
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2016 19:14:38 GMT
Usually /var/run and /run are symlinks one of the other

so that makes /var/rum/php7.0-fpm.sock and /run/php7.0-fpm.sock the same unix domain socket

From: Jason Brooks [mailto:jason.brooks@eroi.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 3, 2016 9:07 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] How does this configuration work?

Hello,

So, the need to make sense of this is not an issue: I will be using the mod_proxy_fcgi to
use php-fpm.  I am just curious.

While trying various configurations to get php-fpm to work, I found the following conundrum:
the following configuration should NOT work but it does...

Here is the apache configuration snippet derived from this site <https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/apache-with-php-fpm-on-ubuntu-16-04/>
 dated last August.

            <Directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin>

                        Require all granted

             </Directory>

             <IfModule mod_fastcgi.c>

                        AddHandler php7-fcgi .php

                        Action php7-fcgi /php7-fcgi virtual

                        Alias /php7-fcgi /usr/lib/cgi-bin/php7-fcgi

                FastCgiExternalServer /usr/lib/cgi-bin/php7-fcgi -socket /var/run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock
-pass-header Authorization

            </IfModule>

Here is the php-fpm www pool socket definition as configured out-of-the-box:

            listen = /run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock

My test php script calls phpinfo() only.  It works.  It’s not clear how it works.

            Apache opens /var/run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock

            php-fpm opens /run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock

            removal of either file causes php not to work.

            When I point apache to the socket file php-fpm opens, it does not work.

HOW?  How does apache manage to connect to php-fpm when the defined socket paths do not make
sense?  As far as I know, the unix socket file is simply opened and read/written to: there’s
no way to tell linux “connect both files to each other” from within a program...

Thanks for your time!

Jason Brooks

Systems Administrator

eROI