httpd-users mailing list archives

From dE <de.tec...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_proxy: When does a backend be considered as failed?
Date Sun, 17 Jul 2016 07:41:36 GMT
Hi,
     It appears that mod_proxy considers a backend as failed only when
the transport layer connection to that backend fails. Is this expected?

The backends are VMs and only when I SIGSTOP the VMs, the backend is
considered in an error state and the retry= parameter has an affect.

If I've set ping=10, the client has to wait for a full minute before a
503 occurs. On subsequent requests, the requests keep coming to this
failed server as if it's healthy effectively making the ping= parameter
pointless (it does nothing).

If a timeout occurs (as set in ProxyTimeout), then too the backend is
not considered as failed and subsequent requests keep coming to it.

When I've set status=E, requests still come to the origin and get served.

failonstatus= has no effect regardless of the value. Requires will
always get served.