httpd-users mailing list archives

From Darryl Philip Baker <darryl.ba...@northwestern.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] Syntax checking an alternate configuration file
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2016 16:17:13 GMT
I want to syntax check an alternate configuration file in Apache 2.4 but I have hit a snag,
"apachectl -t -f {full path name}" and "apachectl -f {full path name} configtest" give me
an extra message which I don't need and don't want to see. I looked at the shell script that
is apachectl and it looks like someone got lazy and if there is  a second argument it will
always print the warning message. It may be a "feature" but it is a damn annoying one. Because
I'm using RHEL I don't want to just comment out the test in apachectl but I'm not sure it
is a reportable bug. Opinions?

[root@host build_conf]# apachectl -t -f /etc/httpd/build_conf/httpd.conf
Passing arguments to httpd using apachectl is no longer supported.
You can only start/stop/restart httpd using this script.
If you want to pass extra arguments to httpd, edit the
/etc/sysconfig/httpd config file.
httpd: "Here is the error message I am looking for"
[root@host build_conf]#

Darryl Baker
Sr. System Administrator
Distributed Application Platform Services (DAPS)
Project Management Office and Enabling Technologies (PMOET)
Northwestern | Information Technology (Formerly NUIT)
1800 Sherman Ave., Suite 600
Evanston, IL  60201-3715
(847) 467-6674
www.it.northwestern.edu