httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Houser, Rick" <rick.hou...@jackson.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache Virtualhost Crashing in OpenBSD
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2016 22:11:20 GMT
My suggestion of moving your php infrastructure outside of the Apache was partially since it’s
an overall better/safer architecture, and partially to bisect a likely cause of your problem.
 Now that you have completely removed mod_php from httpd, you know for a fact your crash is
not PHP related.

I admit that I don’t quite understand what you mean by your problem description.  As virtual
hosts don’t run, they can’t crash.  I suspect something else is going on with your configuration,
but only a small subset was provided.  Any chance you could narrow it down to a minimal configuration
set that triggers this problem (perhaps try removing all other vhosts, confirm you can reproduce
the behavior, take out all modules you don’t need for the reduced set, and confirm the problem
persists), provide an exact description of what’s happening symptom-wise, and then supply
a complete copy of your configuration?  Something might stand out.

Depending on the failure mode you have, you might be able to get a core dump, run in single-threaded
debug mode, etc.  If you actually have to debug a multi-threaded process, I’m definitely
not the right person to ask (only written three modules back in the 2.0/2.2 era, and struggling
myself with memory leaks in a third-party module).

Rick Houser
Web Administration

From: James Duffy [mailto:eastcork75@ymail.com.INVALID]
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2016 16:58
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache Virtualhost Crashing in OpenBSD

Hi there Rick,

I recompiled php to run as an fpm daemon. Got it all running using the fpm-server and after
a few hours Apache vitrualhost has crashed again. Though I welcomed your suggestion to get
me out of a fix (which sadly didn't work) it is not a good thing if Apache can be crashed
in the first place.

Restarting Apache clears the problem until it falls over again.

How do I progress this? Is there a way of taking a snapshot of Apache in its crashed state
to send to the developers?

Thanks

On Wednesday, 1 June 2016, 14:21, "Houser, Rick" <rick.houser@jackson.com<mailto:rick.houser@jackson.com>>