httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Vacelet, Manuel" <manuel.vace...@enalean.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Last-Modified header overridden
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2016 08:55:27 GMT
On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 5:32 PM, Vacelet, Manuel <manuel.vacelet@enalean.com>
wrote:

> dOn Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 5:00 PM, Vacelet, Manuel <
> manuel.vacelet@enalean.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Luca Toscano <toscano.luca@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I was able to repro building httpd from 2.4.x branch and following your
>>> configuration files on github. I am almost sure that somewhere httpd sets
>>> the Last-Modified header translating "foo" to the first Jan 1970 date. I
>>> realized though that I didn't recall the real issue, since passing value
>>> not following the RFC can lead to inconsistencies, so I went back and
>>> checked the correspondence. Quoting:
>>>
>>> "Actually I wrote this snippet to highlight the behaviour (the original
>>> code sent the date in iso8601 instead of rfc1123) because it was more
>>> obvious.
>>> During my tests (this is extracted from an automated test suite), even
>>> after having converted dates to rfc1123, I continued to get some sparse
>>> errors. What I got is that the value I sent was sometimes slightly modified
>>> (a second or 2) depending on the machine load."
>>>
>>> So my understanding is that you would like to know why a Last-Modified
>>> header with a legitimate date/time set by a PHP app gets "delayed" by a
>>> couple of seconds from httpd, right?
>>>

>> Yes for sure, this is the primary issue.
>> However, the (undocumented) difference of behavior from one version to
>> another (2.2 -> 2.4 and more surprisingly from between two 2.4 versions) is
>> also in question here.
>> Even more strange, 2.4 built for other distrib doesn't highlight the
>> behaviour !
>>

> I made another series of test and it seems to be linked to fastcgi.
>
> I took the stock apache (2.4.6 plus tons of patches)  & php-fpm (5.4.16 +
> tons of patches) from RHEL7 and I get the exact same behaviour (headers
> rewritten to EPOCH)
> However, if I server the very same php script from mod_php (instead of
> fcgi) it "works" (the headers are not modified).

For the record, I also have the same behaviour (headers rewritten when
using php-fpm + fastcgi) on alpine linux 3.4 that ships apache2-2.4.20.
So AFAICT, it doesn't seem distro specific.

On the root of the problem, from my point of view:
- the difference between mod_php vs. php-fpm + fcgi is understandable (even
if not desired and not documented).
- the fact that fcgi handler parse & rewrite headers seems to lead to
inconsistencies (I'll try to build a test case for that).
- however, even if the headers are wrong, I think apache default (use
EPOCH) is wrong as it leads to very inconsistent behaviour (the resource
will never expire). I would prefer either:
-- do not touch the header
-- raise a warning and discard the header

What do you think ?