httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ben RUBSON <ben.rub...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] root perms / rewritemap prg / module system()
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2016 14:42:17 GMT
> On 24 Jun 2016, at 16:24, Stormy <stormy22@stormy.ca> wrote:
>
> At 03:53 PM 6/24/2016 +0200, Ben RUBSON wrote:

>> > A hacked suexec would be a per-request option.  Or using
>> > solaris and mod_privileges might just possibly help with
>> > more fine-grained escalation.
>>
>> Nick, thank you very much for your answer, and sorry for my late reply.
>>
>> I red suexec source code, it gave me some ideas :
>> I could write my own setuid-ed program which would :
>> - setuid(<user_id>)
>> - only perform the needed tasks under <user>
>> - exit
>> This program could be then called from any other custom module etc...
>
> Maybe esoteric, possibly off-topic for this precise thread, but would mod-itk be potentially
useful? I looked into it a few years back, it *seemed* to do what was promised, but also carried
a fairly major cpu-cycle overhead. I didn't have time to try and refine implementation and
never put it into production...

Thank you for your suggestion Paul !
I used to use mpm-itk, but I reverted back to built-in MPMs as I'm not really confident having
the main server (the very first one receiving requests) running as root.

Best regards,

Ben