httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Restart or Reload after changing MaxClients and ServerLimit
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2016 08:32:37 GMT
ServerLimit and ThreadLimit configure the size of an internal structure
which maintains data about processes and threads. This structure is only
created during Apache start, so if you want to change these two params,
you need to stop and start.

ThreadsPerChild and MaxClients can be changed and activates with
"apachectl graceful", no need to restart. Only if ThreadsPerChild needs
to get increased higher than ThreadLimit, or MaxClients/ThreadsPerChild
needs to be increased higher than ServerLimit, you need to adjust these
as well and therefore need a completely new start.

So if you want to reserve some reserve space for ThreadsPerChild or
MaxClients, you should configure ThreadLimit = ThreadsPerChild +
"reserved additional threads" and ServerLimit =
MaxClients/ThreadsPerChild + "reserved additional clients"/ThreadsPerChild.

HTH,

Rainer